Opened in 1976, Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Department was chartered by a group of citizens in Albemarle County in response to the growing 29 North corridor. Both the area and station have expanded greatly since then. In the beginning, Seminole Volunteers responded to 100 calls per year via pagers from home or work. Today, our duty crews now staff an Engine and a Tower every weeknight and weekend from the comfort of our station and respond to over 2500 calls for service each year in Albemarle and Charlottesville communities.

In addition to high call volumes, members enjoy hands-on training and opportunities to grow technically, personally, and professionally. Virtually any training desired is available through local organizations, Albemarle County or the Commonwealth of Virginia – most at no cost to our members. All equipment, uniforms and required training is provided free to volunteers. Citizens may begin learning how to be a firefighter or EMT as a member at the age of 18, and (of course) it’s never too late to start.

Our membership makes us unique. Because of our proximity to the University of Virginia, about 40 % of our members are current or former UVA students with very diverse backgrounds, providing tremendous variety to the department. The remaining 60 % are men and women from Albemarle County and beyond and make up the backbone of the department.  The blend of younger and older, men and women, locals and students, and “green” and “seasoned” volunteers results in a vibrant, exciting, and educational environment. STVFD is a family, through and through, and we welcome you to be a part of our team.


3055 Berkmar Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22901

Contact Information

Membership Committee
(434) 973-1717